Tuesday, August 18, 2009

New Middle Grade Story



Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, animals both domesticated and wild, welcome to yet another day in the making.

So I've put the brakes on the second book in the Sowen series for now--mostly because I'm waiting for more responses--and I don't see the point in drafting the second book until I get some interest in the first book. I think I'm also a bit burnt on the story, and I need to refresh the ol' creative tank by writing something different.

I started a middle grade book about a family of monsters, something in the realm of The Munsters or The Addams Family, who are forced to move into suburbia. (I was always a bigger fan of the Munsters, by the way. I never liked the Addams family! And I'm talking the original Munsters, not that Munsters Today ... that was crapola.)


Part of the research I was doing was on the word count of middle grade fiction, which seams to be around 20-50K in length, depending on the target age group, a big gap if you ask me. I came across this nifty search engine by Renaissance Learning that lets you, amongst other things, check the word count of middle grade and young adult books. If you know of a book similar to yours, you can can see what the length is, so you'll know if you're on the right track or not.

Later Fiends,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More