Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Put a Stake in 'Em, They're Done



Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, animals both domesticated and wild, sharpen your stakes, fill your juice boxes with holy water, and grab your garlic necklaces, dear reader, we're going hunting.


I saw two articles appear on Hellnotes today in regards to vampires that I would like to comment on:

Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's Op-Ed article in the New York Times Why Vampires Never Die explains why vampires are here to stay, while Neil Gaiman's EW interview Why vampires should go back underground suggests that vampires need a 20-25 year rest.

I have to side with Gaiman on this one. I'm about at the end of my vampire tolerance. A long break to revitalize the genre is needed. Don't get me wrong, vampires have their place, always will, but this huge wave of vampirism is like an encore that won't die. And really, dear reader, how much of it is actually fresh? How many ways can we use the vampire to symbolize sex and desire and forbidden love?

Later Fiends,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More