Thursday, October 1, 2009

Top 13 Vampire Movies

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, animals both domesticated and wild, in the spirit of Halloween and to help promote the release of my new short story Garbage, Inc, I will be entertaining, or perhaps enraging you, with 13 days of top 13 horror lists, ending on October 13th, which just so happens to coincide with the release of my story ...

So without further ado, I present to you my first list.


Top 13 Vampire Movies

13. Twilight - While not one of my personal favorites, there is no denying the impact the Twilight Saga has on today's culture (just ask my daughter, she'll tell you). It is a phenomenon, and so it makes my list.


12. Once Bitten - Perhaps the worst performance of Jim Carrey's life, this teen comedy about a cougar vampire needing virgin blood was so train-wreck bad that it has become a classic to me. It's the American Pie of the vampire genre.

11. Underworld - C'mon, it's Kate Beckinsale ... with guns! While the movie doesn't bring about anything new and exciting to the vampire genre, it does offer some eye-popping treats that make it an enjoyable film.

10. Blade - Another vampire ass-kicking lesson, this time taught by Wesley Snipes. The Underworld and Blade series are almost synonymous to me ... I can't imagine someone liking one and not the other. I just like Blade a little better, is all.

9. Fright Night - While I find the movie more of a comedy now, especially with Roddy McDowall's character Peter Vincent as the wannabe Van Helsing character, this movie scared the crap out of me as a child. Fright Night was my introduction to vampires and still remains one of my favorites.

8. Near Dark - This movies is as stylish and brutal as it is western and heavy metal. And it's comprised of almost the entire cast of Aliens.

7. Interview with a Vampire - Before Twilight, there was Interview ... and before choosing Scientology, Tom Cruise opted for vampirism. That other guy in the movie wasn't bad either.


6. 30 Days of Night - Coming in, I only knew that the story was based on a comic I had not read and that vampires traveled to Alaska because of a 30-day blackout. I really wasn't expecting much, but I found the movie to be a bit different and a bit smart and a bit of an instant classic.

5. Bram Stoker's Dracula - Bram Stoker and Francis Ford Coppola. 'Nuff said.

4. Dracula (1931) - Bela Lugosi, widow's peak and all, made the vampire sexy. You just gotta respect the classics.

3. The Lost Boys - The two Coreys ...? In the same movie ...? Does it get any better...? You mean the Kiefer Sutherland? I will never be able to listen to People are Strange by the Doors and not think of this movie again.

2. Nosferatu - Copyright infringement at its finest. This is without a doubt the best version of Dracula ever made. There is something still scary about the gritty film and those big, rubbery hands.


1. From Dusk Till Dawn - Trashy, vulgar, sexy and brutal. It's got a little sumpin' for everyone.



Later Fiends,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More