Thursday, July 16, 2009

Literary Travels

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, animals both domesticated and wild, don't be afraid of the person with the bloody knife. Be afraid of the person who tries to save him.

So I was listening to On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King on my way to work this morning--next to Elements of Style this is my favorite audiobook to listen to when I've finished a novel towards the end of the week and I don't want to start a new one.

I was listening to the part where King discusses writing Misery. He mentions he began the story at the Brown's Hotel in London, a hotel Rudyard Kipling frequented. Kipling wrote part of The Jungle Book at the very same desk King began Misery, in fact. King, in his stylistically cryptic way, informed me that Kipling died at this desk. Doing a tiny bit of research, it appears not to be true, entirely. Kipling was taken to the hospital from the hotel. He died at the hospital. It is rumored, however, that Kipling's ghost still frequents the place, perhaps for the breakfast buffet ... who knows.
Brown's Hotel, I came to find out, is a literary hot spot, and I thought--wow!--how cool would it be to write at the same desk that King, Kipling, and perhaps dozens more penned some of their greatest works? This led me to a site called Literary Traveler. This site is dedicated to vacations that immerse the writer into the world of their literary heroes: Shakespeare, Dickens, Lovecraft, Poe.... I just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone needs a literary sabbatical.

Later Fiends,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More