Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In Which Dreams Get Murdered... Again

Rejection! Sweet, glorious rejection! Yet another sign the publishing world knows I'm still standing out in the cold, waiting to be let in. Three rejections in one week, all very formal and formatted:


Thank you [insert author's name here],

While your story is exceptional, we cannot accept it at this time ... yadda, yadda, yadda ... you suck.

Sincerely,
Murderer of Dreams

And then I pick myself up, dust myself off, and do it again, hopefully a little better than the last.




4 comments:

You dead set on getting it published by someone else? Ever consider taking the self-publishing route?

I'm thinking about it. Self publishing seems to be gaining more popularity, especially now with the economic problems facing the publishing industry. I would need to gain some sort of following though. Nobody really cares about reading my stuff for free let alone paying for it.

Well, once you put it out there, you might attract a following. David Moody began self-publishing his zombie book Autumn online and slowly gained a following to the point that his book was self-published in print, picked up for publication by a different company, and was made into an independent film.

The downside is that you have to be writer, editor, publisher, and advertiser all on your own.

You also might want to consider releasing your book as an audio novel. Although I grind my teeth in desperation at the low levels of literacy world-wide, you might find an audience by releasing an audio novel podcast of some sort.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you've noticed my profile picture, it is my face with a skull superimposed on top. I had this idea to create a video of me dressed with that face, reading chapters from my book--something like the Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt. I don't know if it's been done already, or if it's too gimmicky, but I figured it would be something different and enjoyable for people, kids mostly, that don't read.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More