Monday, March 16, 2009

Revision, Revisions

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, animals both domesticated and wild, please watch your step.  The floor is slippery.


I'm back to editing Sowen, now on my third revision, and I'm very pleased with how the story is coming together.  Thinking back to when I started the story, I am amazed at how it has changed, so much so that I could not imagine sticking to the outline I created in the beginning.  I had put some notes together before I started this project-- character sketches, big concepts, major conflicts, things like that--but as the story evolved new ideas tempted me, old ideas no longer worked, and entire chapters were tossed.  Now, looking through this old outline, I see that very few things are used.

I imagine for some the outline is imperative, but for me, it seems to be more of a brainstorming tool that helps get me going.  My characters ultimately dictate the plot.  I just try to keep up with them.

So, dear readers, what is your preference:  outline or not?

<<<>>>


Gus Fink's Boogily Heads are the sweetest freaks I've seen in a while.  I can imagine a small army of these creatures sitting on my desk, their heads nodding in unison, agreeing to every mad thing I say.

Later Fiends,

  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More